I’ve been getting the vlog and writing prompts from Kat of Mama’s Losin It forever but have never joined in. I was looking for something to write about this week and I liked this writing prompt so here I am.
Anyone that knows me knows I LOVE TV and watch a ton of TV. I watch mostly scripted shows. I don’t watch a ton of Reality TV but i have watched my fair share to not really enjoy it.
There was that dreaded winter a few years ago when all the writers went on strike and NOTHING was on TV except Reality TV *shudders*.
I have learned a lot about life from watching Reality TV.
1. I have NO DESIRE to EVER be on TV or a Reality TV show at all. Cameras following me around and asking me personal things? People harrassing me more than they do now on social media with fan mail and hateful comment boxes? NO THANK YOU.
2. People are idiots and they come in all shapes and sizes.
3. We all complain but still watch. A lot of reality TV is like a car crash. IT’S AWFUL and RIDICULOUS but we all stare at our TVs in awe of these peoples lives. Then after something REALLY ridiculous happens we all go online and talk about it on social media and google articles and blogs to find out more information about what we just watched. There is something to be said about learning about the behind the scenes of peoples lives and knowing they have problems just like us and for once the problems don’t belong to us.
4. Cliques exist even outside of high school. I always thought once I got out of high school life would be better as there wouldn’t be any cliques…boy was I wrong…they are everywhere..even on reality tv!
5. People will do ANYTHING for money/prizes. Have you seen what some of these people are willing to do to marry someone or for $50,000? It’s unbelievable sometimes. I will never forget the woman that quit her job to be on the Bachelor and then through a tantrum when she didn’t get a rose.
6. People are NOSY and obsess over the dumbest things. I find this especially true on The Bachelor. The girls will obsess over who gets the most 1-on-1 time with the Bachelor and they get mad if they don’t get alone time and if the same person is only getting alone time. Guess what girls 9/10 by week 3 the Bachelor knows who his Top 3 are but a 3 week show would be boring.
7. It must be really nice to have unlimited funds and money. I rarely ever see any of these reality stars complain about financial issues. They go out to eat for every meal. Many have maids and house keepers and chefs. And man they do so much shopping and have sooo many clothes!! Oh to be rich!
8. If you know what you are doing you can make money blogging about Reality TV. I’ve heard several interviews by Reality Steve. He started a website on a whim as a joke and posted spoilers for Reality TV shows (mostly the bachelor) and people behind the scenes started emailing him anonymous emails with spoilers. He eventually was able to quit his full-time job and do that site full-time. What is crazy is the producers of the show know he exists and don’t seem to care as it isn’t really hurting ratings..if anything it’s helping get more buzz for the show.
9. Even Reality TV is Scripted. One of the tag lines of Reality TV is that it is unscripted drama about the daily going-ons of xyz family. But if you read the internet and look closely there are a lot of scenes that are scripted for TV…especially when it comes to engagements, weddings, and big events.
10. People are desperate to feel loved and belonged. Through so many of the sob stories and drama that ensues underneath it all they just are looking for a community, love, and a sense of belonging and direction in life. Which is what sooo many people in this world are looking for. I can speak from experience it can be hard to find and when you live in the spotlight it can be even harder.
What life lessons did I miss? What have you learned from Reality TV? How did I do on the gifs? Chat with me in the comments!
Thanks Kat for hosting!