Hello my Five Minute Friday-ers. This weeks topic is TEN which has led to a lot of Top Ten lists which I LOVE. So of course I had to also join in.
I recently started a new part-time job where I kid you not the email address had 5000 emails in the inbox…just sitting there.
In my attempts to sort of get this under control (and trust me I am failing miserably) I have come up with these tips (I’m not saying I am perfect…I actually struggle with email most days but I am a work in progress).
Ten Ways to Better Email Management
1. Set specific times of day to check email with no other distractions. (I know easier said than done).
2. If you use Gmail use The Email Game to quickly get through Emails.
3. Use the Mailbox App on your phone to quickly filter through emails on your mobile device.
4. If you don’t have time to deal with an email at the moment send it to come back to your inbox at a later date via the Mailbox App or The Email Game.
5. Unsubscribe from stuff you don’t READ. This includes stores and email newsletters.
6. Create Filters so certain types of emails automatically skip your inbox and go to a folder automatically.
7. Try Unroll.me to control your inbox subscriptions. I have been using this but some people can’t decide if it just creates more spammy email or actually works.
8. Create folders in your inbox for emails on specific topics – Blogging, Church, Family, Vacation, etc.
9. If there is an email you need but don’t necessarily care where it is filed just archive it. Archiving it gets it out of your inbox but it’s still available to you if you search for it.
10. Create a junk email account for things you don’t want to clog up your inbox (stores, coupons). I did that for awhile but I hated checking 2 and 3 different inboxes all the time so I did that and then I created 1 main inbox that all my email is forwarded to. I get through my email much better now that I only have 1 inbox to deal with.
I can’t say that I am perfect when it comes to email. I still have times of 500+ emails in my inbox and newsletters and work or blogging emails I need to address in my inbox that I just haven’t gotten to but I do way better now than I used to.
And for that work email address I’m working on creating folders for important things and deleting all the sales emails. Maybe one day I’ll get it down to a workable amount…maybe.
Thanks to Kate for Hosting! Make sure to visit Kate for more posts about the word TEN!