I am writing these posts so that in 2, 5, or 10 years down the line I can come back to this blog and read about the craziness that was the Corona Virus that hit the world in the Winter and Spring of 2019-2020.
I feel like I am living in some kind of end of the world movie.
How many views has this video gotten in the last week? I hope the youtube channel is monetized and making decent money on the ad revenue this month.
I honestly am not sure what to think about this entire thing. So far this is what has happened:
- Most schools in the United States are closed until after Easter (April 12th).
- The schools are on spring break and then doing online classes
- All LARGE GATHERING EVENTS have been cancelled all over the country (including Wrestlemania)
- If you have any kind of Doctors appointment no one is allowed to wait with you in the waiting room.
- Many elective surgeries like knee surgery have been cancelled and need to be rescheduled
- Many doctors are closed and cancelling appointments
- You cannot find any toilet paper, paper towels, lysol wipes, or hand sanitizer in any store.
- Some stores are low on milk, eggs, and butter.
- Many people are working remotely and trying to follow “Social Distancing“
- My friend Lauren’s Bridal Shower was moved from April 25th to July 11th.
- DISNEY WORLD AND DISNEYLAND ARE CLOSED!!
- There are no PUBLIC CATHOLIC MASSES being said for the rest of March and probably longer. Each diocese is different our diocese has just said March but many dioceses have not said when Masses will resume. Which means many people will not be able to go to mass for Holy Week, The Triduum, or Easter. [Since I wrote this mass has been suspended indefinitely]
And those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. As many others have said this is a very LENTY LENT.
It really is sad for a lot of people because Lent is when a lot of parish missions, fundraisers and other events occur so I know there are many people that are losing money. Plus all the parishes that are not receiving tithes/donations during this time.
Our Parish being a cathedral in a tourist area relies a lot on donations from visitors. I’m thankful for online giving to help them get some donations.
So far these are all the diocese’s that have cancelled Mass. Sadly I think this map will be a lot darker in the next week or two.
So far where I live all the restaurants are allowed to be opened as long as we are at a 50% capacity. But I’m not sure how long that will last. In many other states restaurants are only allowed to do takeout. Many restaurants have closed altogether. Bars are not allowed to be opened at all.
I feel like we’re in this weird waiting period. And you’re getting information from all sides. Some people are telling everyone to stay home and be quarantined and only go to the store for necessities and to practice “Social Distancing“. And then other people are saying to go and eat out and support the local businesses that are struggling.
I’m not sure what to do. I do enjoy going out but I want to stay safe/healthy as well. I feel weird doing anything unnecessary like doing any non-grocery shopping, getting haircuts, going to the eye doctor. All things I cancelled this past week.
For now I’m still working and using my free time in the evenings to get caught up on things at home, TV, blog more, and my freelance business. Since COVID19 has cancelled all my meetings.